Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Rant The Second: And Then She Was Gone

So the younger brother comes home from work one Friday and lets us know that he is going to try and reconcile his differences with the mother of one baby girl. We expected this. I think they were in constant cell phone contact the entire time they were apart.

A typical day for my brother would be to hang up his cell walked up to the house from the train. Then rather than take baby girl right away it was time to make a pot of coffee and change out of work clothes. Baby girl time followed and it might last till bed time but often it was a brief period until the mother's cell number popped up on the caller ID. The it was on and off the phone all night with brief respite for food and sleep.

We knew that the mother, of one baby girl, was still very much in the picture. We did not know that an apartment had been rented and that my brother and baby girl would be moving out the next morning. When asked how long he had been planning this he told us, "Since Monday, but I wasn't going to tell you and have to spend a week living with your anger."

That was one of those moments that goes on the list (or tops the list) of reasons, of how I can love my baby brother, but often I just don't like him very much.


When my older brother had his kids I was a much younger man. The idea of that kind of responsibility was overwhelming in the balance of things. I liked spending time with his children and it was fun watching them grow up, but being in their presence never inspired any kind of longing to have children of my own. I wanted to be my own man, to drink and play and spend money without a thought of tomorrow.

This time it was different I was a thirty year old man. I was intimately involved in the day to day care of baby girl right from the get go. I was more than a little attached. This was taken away without even the pretense of consideration. Yeah, I was more than a little angry.

So rather than deal with my anger, resentment and depression I plugged myself into video crack (aka video games) almost every waking hour. I didn't even read much. Sure maybe some light fantasy or a space opera but nothing that would actually force me to think much. My evening exercise ceased entirely. One cannot be alone with ones thoughts that long. I stopped checking my email as it had become this albatross, this place where my blog sent comments and how could I possibly think about talking about things I refused to even think about. No that was best kept in the dark and forgotten about.

That pretty much explains most of the gap in the blog. Next time... Rant The Third: Death of Video Crack or Vacations for the Out of Work ... Where in we discuss how I slowly come back to a semblance of normalcy (still crazy but the usual amount of crazy). This entire thing is starting to get too long. I might have to wait a few days on Rant the Third and talk about the Alien Overlords or perhaps work on the Master Plan (to take over the world).

More Laters

4 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Yikes! So what happened? Are things working out between your brother and sister-in-law? Did she leave your parents' house on bad terms? Do you still get to see the baby? I'm picturing you in Three Men and a Baby...sans Ted Danson and the rest, of course.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

We usually watch babygirl one morning a week and my brother will often drop by early either saturday or sunday and insist that the old man cook him breakfast while we visit with baby girl.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Katzwinkel said...

So your brother has spawned, eh? I don't recall *feeling* any inexplicable chills in my bones... maybe I'm losing my touch.

Okay, that's all the smack-talking I'm going to do. I wouldn't want you to crush my head between your meaty paws just because I was unnecessarily glib.

I will say, however, that the day you stop accepting the manure-end of the stick from your brother, I will applaud most heartily.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Yes beware my claws of doom! I'd say buns of steel or super powered calf muscles but that would be unneccarily weird.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home