Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Yeah, Explicative

So I open up my email this morning and find a new response to a relatively old post. This in and of itself is not exactly surprising. People come in off odd search results all the time landing at whatever post was relevant to their query. What surprised my was the comment itself. I received an anonymous F - Bomb.

I try to stay away from profane language as there are already plenty of other reasons for people to skip past this web page. I don't always proof read. I'm stubborn and opinionated. I have a tendency to step up on a lefty soap box and rant about things like rampant consumerism and and the evils of advertising. My ego is large. I have a Master Plan (to take over the world). I use a standard Blogger template. I'm fairly sacrilegious. Swearing would just make it a little too easy for people to ignore me.

The post is one of a couple where I tear into a local radio show: The Roe Conn Show. I am of course jealous as I'm unemployed and would love to have a job making the kind of money Roe does for the hours he puts in. I would also like better programming. As a consumer I had a few options. I could not listen to the radio show. I could listen to the show and hope it gets better. I could write to the radio station or I could do what I chose to do, which was whine about the state of radio on a publicly searchable website. Every time people do a google search for the Roe Conn Show, they find me.

So anyway, an anonymous fan or perhaps even a member of the show (or a family member) stumbled upon my site and was move to say, "Yeah, (explicative deleted) you." Now I'm not very good at arguing face to face. When backed into a corner my mind doesn't work fast enough to come up with something clever and I've been known to put that stock response to good use. I just don't understand how, when given an opportunity to choose one's words carefully, one could leave it so simply. Heck even a fat joke would work better. But an anonymous F-Bomb isn't hurtful. It just makes me wonder who is reading my site.

Also I have to wonder what kind of person really thinks an anonymous post is all that anonymous. All comments are time stamped. All I had to do, if I was really interested, was check out my tracking site and see what the IP was of the person who posted at that time and I could report em to their internet provider or place of work if they are surfing the net from work.

In Summary: I say some pretty outrageous things. I can criticize harshly at times. I'm the consumer and I make my expectations known. I also sign my name to every post and if people don't like what I have to say I can certainly understand that but I would ask that they do me the same courtesy of identifying themselves. In the future I will just delete comments like that if they are posted anonymously. (I will leave this one up of course to illustrate the point).

More Laters

9 Comments:

Blogger south of north said...

unless of course they post from an internet cafe...

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I guess I really have to do this....

fuck!

7:37 AM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

I've read a lot about those a-non comments. Knock on wood, I haven't had one yet.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Mental multivitamin said...

And you wonder why we've skipped the whole comments melodrama? Never had 'em, never will. Sorry 'bout the anon f-bomb. Hey, I'm with you: The Roe Conn show is unlistenable. Who are these people who are still tuning in? Folks still hoping Garry Meier will appear one afternoon?

(*sigh*)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Tom -- If they are going to an internet cafe to post anon F-bombs on my old stuff they really have a few issues they need to work out with some kind of professional.

Sirtalksalot -- I'm not so much offended as confused why someone would waste the opportunity to be verbose.

Rachelle -- I guess I should too. (Explicative deleted)! Ok I maybe some time in the future.

M-MV -- I admit I tune in to hear Ron Majers and maybe for a little bit before that but the show and the station in general has pretty much gone down hill.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Katzwinkel said...

Sorry, Rich, but your Google result has been bumped to page 3. I guess more people are bitching more about Roe; either the Disc Jerky or the caviar.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I suppose I could do more posts about the show but that would be giving em more attention than he deserves. I still want a talk radio job. I think I'll work it into my Master Plan (to take over the world).

2:41 AM  
Blogger Cori said...

I love this post!

Commens- although often supportive and amazing... can get icky and ucky... yes- I could find no better words to describe!!

I just opened my comments up again as you know... because why... hmmm... pressure from people I liked and missing the feedback from those I respect. (Like you)

The crazies- although few- and be a big pain.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I kind of liek the crazies (in life as well in the blog world) provided of course they are crazy in a way I find intersting and their crazy doesn't interfere with my crazy.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home