Monday, May 02, 2005

Child Care and China Patterns

Another title of a book (or essay) unwritten as yet wherein I rant at length on subjects I have little experience with yet feel no less qualified to talk about than anyone else. Maybe I could underscore it with the addendum: Cynical observations of the single male. Why cynical one may ask? Well my slant would be how the focus on child care either being a term meaning mostly who people pay to take care of the children rather than a sort of tome saying what might be expected in the child's development at any age and of course there is the entire return to "mommy hood" that we so much today. I think I could go on for days about this child like obsession of being a mommy to a baby instead of a concerned parent either alone or as part of a team working to do all that can be done to give the child every advantage.

Then there is the China Patterns part. The cynic in me sees this as part of the problem with the modern marriage. Instead of asking, "Should we be getting married so soon and to each other?" people are often focused on what china pattern to register for. What will our place settings say about us as a couple. A fairy tale event must occur with fifteen men in black suits and one woman in white and fourteen in whatever color makes the attending ladies look good but not quite as good as the lady in white. This one day event becomes the sum total of the planned life together and when things start to fall apart a few years down the road because the person you are with isn't the "person you married" people are confused and hurt.

I was listening to the radio a few months back and was appalled to hear that it is more socially acceptable to be divorced at a certain age than it is to never have been married. A single person of the same age is viewed as unable to commit or just as a loser. How psychologically messed up as a society are we when we start thinking that people who are willing to fling themselves full force into a situation where they don't really know the person they are committing to, are more psychologically stable than those who have never made that mistake.

I don't think "Child Care and China Patterns" would sell well even with the alliterative title and the hopeful sort of message that we can do better even though we aren't yet. It's like President Jimmy Carter sitting down and telling people on the television that we have a morals problem. I might have a valid point but people don't want to feel criticized.

More Laters

14 Comments:

Blogger SirTalksALot said...

I think this post is right on, people around me are starting to wonder when I'm going to "date" or "get married". Frankly, is it anyone's business? Why do they even care unless I ask them, "when will I meet someone?" Why are singles outcasts? Oh well, I've always been different and everyone always thinks I'm weird, so why should this aspect of life be any different. Sometimes I feel solitude is the only thing that keeps me sane.

7:09 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I seriously don't understand why everyone feels the need to get married. What's wrong with dating? If I didn't have the whole greencard/foreign husband issue looming, I surely wouldn't have gotten married so soon. Marriage is big. I think it is all of the crazy reality t.v. shows that are skewing people's image of the seriousness of the whole lifetime-commitment thing. And probably the fact that much of the population comes from a broken home and wants to create something different for their own life.

8:22 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

Yeah, I think marriage and kids are officially "out" now. I mean, if Britney Spears is doing it...

2:50 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

We live in an age where people feel the need to compartmentalize everything, including the people around them. I don't know why this is so, and I find the practice odious. Frankly, as long as the folks around me aren't breaking the law or infringing on my right to enjoy a good life, I really don't care whether they're coupled, single, or cohabitating romantically with a zoo animal.

Live and let live. Well said.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Cyn said...

Tag , you're it :)

That is if you aren't still MIA. Hope everything is goin' okay for ya.

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll just totally miss your point and say, although we opted for the kids, we did live together for over 8 years first and elope, thus negating the need for any china pattern. I still have mismatched dishes, but I know who I'm married to.

Haven't visited you in awhile so just wanted to say howdy!

Kim of Relaxed Homeskool

10:14 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Are you still out there Rich?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Aisha said...

Portuguesa nova says you are not around lately -- so I checked the Everyday Absurd site-- no new cool pics-- and here too, it's gone quiet.
Not that faithful to my Blog myself-- but wanted to let you know we need yours in the blogoflora...

Aisha

4:08 PM  
Blogger SirTalksALot said...

Dude! Where are ya? Aisha's right, you bring life to the blogosphere. Hope all is well.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

where the fuck are you?!?

11:21 PM  
Blogger Cyn said...

Gettin' dusty in here :(

1:34 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

I can't decide what I think is more lame; that you've quit blogging or that I consistenly check to see if you've come back after 3 stagnant months.

I'm still leaning toward the former...

3:21 AM  
Blogger Katzwinkel said...

Hey! Yeah... you! Take those chubby fingers of yours and start mashing on the keyboard. Here's a topic: Lysol; Smells Good, Tastes Bad.

Go!

4:09 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Ditto Carrie.

Jeez!!!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home