Saturday, August 27, 2005

An Education

Part of my Master Plan(to take over the world) is to share media with people that I have experienced, causing them to have the same experiences as me and thus become more like me. Poor mans mind control. (Though with a few mad scientists and some hefty funding / grants the plan is willing to evolve to actual mind control. A true plan for global domination needs to be flexible like that). So it behooves me to speak a bit on some of my recent acquisitions.

I picked up a copy of William S. Burroughs' My Education: A Book of Dreams. I have not read it yet, but it was excerpted and referred to repeatedly in his The Adding Machine : Selected Essaysand the idea of the book impressed me from what I had read in excerpt that I've always meant to get around to it. One of the basic premises is that his education encompassed more than years spent in formal teacher / student institutional education. He talks about his dreams and his addictions. I'm sure I will find some of it grating as he is a bit over the top in his opinion of his opinions. (an inflated sense of the worth of his ideas? Large ego? I need a better vocabulary to describe things like this).

Next lets talk about Naomi Klein's No Logo: No Space, No Choice, No Jobs. I'm in the "no jobs" section now and it has dawned on me that "synergy" is more than a Dilbert joke or a buzzword, but rather the driving force of multinational companies. This book is already six years out of date but it's a good history of the shift from production to branding. Her current work is being released via the No Logo website.

Finally as I my super gaming machine has bit the dust (well the old man's machine really, I just used it) I'm reduced to mudding (multi user dungeon ... aka text based gaming like chat rooms with names stolen from fantasy novels and cartoons filled with uber geeks. One of thirst muds I ever played resurfaced a couple years back (they would come and go like the wind back in the day as it used to take a hefty financial investment or a university computer to run one) and I can be found most days at Darkwind. (for the foreseeable future: no new machine until the end of September.

I recommend reading the books. Not only does it support my master plan but they are an education unto themselves. Mud at your own risk. Beware the Uber geeks.

More laters

3 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

i don't think phidar is around anymore. a few of my friends played that....as for mUDs, NEVER let them know you're a girl. free stuff is great, but it gets old.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Constant requests for the cyber sex? ewwww.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

usually not cyber sex. requests for pictures, my phone number, and to be the ic g/f were more common. i was usually first to be healed when fighting, that was nice. oh and free buffs were nice too.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home