Saturday, December 04, 2004

Christmas Love Hate

Ok I'm sick and tired of the stupid diamond advertisements. It's not just the terrible stuff you see on the television that implies that you don't really love a person unless you give them a diamond, but the signs posters and flyers. The TV tells me nothing will warm up the woman like that sparkled rock. Out of every newspaper I pick up a flyer falls telling me of the wonderful savings that can be had. The monster poster on the bus stop tells me that nothing less than two months salary would prove my love. (not my salary of course. There are no diamonds to be had for the change from fetching a loaf of bread). It's a rock! It is just an exorbitantly expensive easily lost, misplaced or stolen piece of rock. One would think with all these rocks being sold every Christmas that the jewelers would eventually run out. Yet every year there is a handy supply of shiny rocks. It makes me wonder just how much artifice is at play here?

When I went to the museum of natural history I admired the case of semi precious stones. I marveled at the workmanship that went into cutting those stone. In days gone by it was a jewelers life work to create those stones and to mount them. Now we have these mass produced stones ready every day of the year the only thing differentiating one from another is a laser inscribed identification. Zip Zap. That will be a couple thousand. One day the diamond market will collapse and I wont be saddened to see it go.

But then we have chocolate. It seems that while Halloween is the candy holiday, the stores have taken to stocking even more chocolate at discounted prices for the holiday. When I stopped in the local pharmacy today I spent a good twenty minutes inspecting the rows and rows of chocolate before deciding that today I would be purchasing a nice little bag of Hershey's Kisses. (Ok maybe a ten ounce bag isn't so little). I almost can't help myself. Every time I go for a walk I know that I can just pop inside the store and buy an obnoxious amount of chocolate for just a couple dollars. These bastards don't even need to advertise. I was hooked at an early age. I had my stockings filled with candy every Christmas (and I usually had most of everyone else's too). Even if I stopped eating real food for the rest of the season (a completely unhealthy and unrealistic feat to even think of) I would probably still gain weight eating just candy. Oh how terrible it is to love chocolate so and have it so readily available. And me with on will power.

So as misery loves company I urge all of you to go out and buy candy for your selves and for your loved ones. Give it as gifts. Bring bags to work. And in a couple weeks we will al be immense, but somewhat happy.


In Summary: Diamonds may be eternal but you are not. Go eat some chocolate.

More Laters

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that the company DeBeers has a monopoly on the diamond mines in Africa and that there are some many diamonds available that they hold them back so as not to flood the market and show them to be the worthless rocks they really are. I guess the production and mining of them is fairly heinous too. I'm not sure what precious stones, if any, are mined in a more natural and humane manner (towards the miners)but I'd like to know.
KC

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to post about that topic, myself. I hate, hate, hate the commercials, in particular the one where there is a couple in a square with tons of pigeons.

It pissed me off that the guy is saying that he loves the woman, and the prissy bitch is embarrassed by his ardor. Only when he gives her the diamond does she declare her love. What a beeyotch.

I'm not saying I'm above expensive gifts, because I love being spoiled and I'm used to getting nice things from my boyfriends. However, I love the guys I'm involved with, and it won't take a bribe for me to admit it.

Sorry for posting anonymously but for some reason Blogger isn't allowing me to log in.

Cyn from cynsim.com

1:08 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I thought we were past the age where a woman would say I need a man who can buy my obviously expensive stuff and moving forward into a time where both parties in any relationship would be equals but these advertisers really want to drag us back to the stone age.

Plus think of all the nifty computer stuff yas could get with that kind of money.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Arrgh check out what Paige Wiser Sun Times lifestyle columnist has to say about these terrible diamond. The comercials are bad because s stupid men might waste valuable cash on smething other than the piece of rock. It's women like her that make me despair that we will ever have any kind of social progress.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home