Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Chicago Theatre and Dinner

So anyway we went to see Evita at the Auditorium Theatre. We had orchestra seats in row Y. It provided a great view of the stage and as always the sound in the Theatre was perfect. Though for the same price as the orchestra seats we could have had box seats (about $60). We all agreed that what we might have sacrificed in view from the boxes, would definitely have been made up with leg room and comfy chairs. When I ordered the tickets a couple weeks back, we couldn't get 4 tickets in a box so we figure they were sold out. I'm guessing some of the boxes were held by season ticket holders or perhaps they only are sold in sets of two. The theater was actually under sold, which was a shame as this was a great production.

Going into the theater I was apprehensive. I had never actually seen a staging of Evita before and while my parents owned the soundtrack and I knew most of the lyrics by heart, I read a review on Chicagoist which left me wondering if we had made the right decision to see this show. So after seeing the show I walk away wondering how the Chicagoist reviewer could possibly have been bored? It was a wonderful show. The man who played the role of Che was no Mandy Patankin, but he was good. The costumes were colorful. The dancing was well choreographed. The woman who did "Another Suitcase, Another Hall" had a beautiful voice. (I can't watch the Madonna atrocity. Her ego wouldn't allow her to give up that one song to another and in so doing she changed the character of Evita to someone much more sympathetic than the character in the staged musical).

I think part of the problem is you have to be a fan of the show going in. I knew every song that was coming up. I could probably sing along with every lyric (Badly). The music is fast and the words go by while you're trying to take in all that is happening on the stage (and there is a lot going on. Dancing, banners,lights and projections on a screen). Also it pays to keep in mind that this is not only the story of Evita but of a Fictionalized Che the symbol (in this production) of the worker and the downtrodden. He is the Poor and the middle class. His songs are about how the government has changed from one that did little for the working man to one that was a mere pageantry that actively oppressed and stole from all the people. The Che of this production is someone to think about. We might see his likes again soon as the middle class disappears.

Also any student of the Charismatic Leader can see just how well that was capture in this production not only the characterization of Che, Evita and Peron, but in the style of the music, in the reaction of the crowds, in the cadence of the lyrics delivered as speeches. The music really helps to delineate who is on stage. When the music is martial we have the military (more plodding and serious we have the officers / generals singing "The art of the possible"). It is almost hoity - toity when the upper crust take the stage and it roars with the cheering of the populace.

This was an exciting evening of Chicago Theater and I'm sorry the people over at Chicagoist weren't able to enjoy it.

After the show we went to Greek Islands Restaurant for dinner. I think it is always best to go to dinner after the theater. You don't need to rush your meal. By the time you get there, you are hungry and if you decide to try something adventurous you wont make any unpleasant odors during the show because your body wasn't use to digesting that little bit of adventure. While we aren't Greek, we often go to Greek Town for dinner. In almost any restaurant there, you will get exceptional service and excellent cuisine. Also, it is a quick drive or taxi ride from the Auditorium Theater so a hungry person need not wait long for a meal. I had Pastichio as my natural inclination always draws me to a dish with cheese in it. I'm now half wired on the many cups of fine coffee they served me. I highly recommend this place to anyone who hasn't yet made the trip.

So my unemployed self experienced another wonderful night of Chicago culture. Be jealous.

More Laters

4 Comments:

Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

Hope you have a good thanksgiving weekend!

12:31 PM  
Blogger south of north said...

that review in chicagoist seemed kind of pretentious to me.

and yeah, i'm a little jealous.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Jealous? mmm. yeah. Okay, I'll admit I am. All I can say is kudos to you, enjoy it as much as you can because you only live once.

Happy Thanksgiving

12:17 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Thank you folks. I have to say that I have been enjoying myself, but I'm expert and professional in that regard. I should give classes. Maybe a new title Rich: Man of Liesure.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home