Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Shearing

So I'm still going bald. This isn't a surprise. It is not like you wake up one morning and pat the top of your head to find that the hair fairy has granted you a thick luxuriant main while you slept. What would you put under the pillow for the hair fairy anyway? Some hair from the strainer in the tub. Is this perhaps like the reverse of the tooth fairy? If I left a fifty under the pillow would I wake up with a complete 80's rock band mullet? (you know you like the mullet).

The thing is that it seems that the baldness is progressing to that point where decisions must be made. These are not life and death / do you keep me hooked up to the machine important questions, but they affect a man's view of himself, which in a shockingly provincial / egotistically personal world view is of great import.

Do I continue to grow the hair long and wear a hat to cover the bald spot? Do I even think about a comb over. If I could afford those head rub ointments that promise to reduce or stop hair loss and maybe even regrow my own hair, would I even want to? Do I give up and go with the complete creepy bald guy? If I go with the creepy bald guy do I go for the Mr. Clean goatee variety or with the full beard that terminates where the shiny dome starts. Will the contour of my head even support the shaved head look? Can I just shave it really short.

From this picture at Everyday Absurd (my collection of goofy photos. One can see that with a flash the thinning hair is very noticeable, but from the profile we see that there is still enough of it to just go with the extremely close cropped head for some time.

With the right tools my younger brother today became my barber. There are many upsides. The tools also double as a beard trimmer. My old one was very dull and needed to be replaced so I was getting a little scraggly. The tools are cheap. We spent eleven dollars on a nice con air model. I don't need to pay tip my brother, I watch his daughter for him. I don't have to pay may brother at all. (same reason). I don't need to style my hair. I don't need to comb my hair. I don't need to use very much shampoo. The top of my head now has a soft peach fuzzy feel. Most important: I think that this look is a good look on me. (though in that picture taken shortly after the haircut and before the shower all the extra hair on my shoulders looks like my chest hair connects to my neck hair / beard and my back hair. Just call me wookie.)

I don't really see any downsides with this haircut. I'm still going bald but that isn't so much a downside as a reality I've had to face. Perhaps it says cheap or lazy or both. I'm both so that is O.K. by me.

At some point I may actually have lost enough weight where I don't have a double chin and I may actually loose the facial hair from time to time. If I keep the goatee and end up doing the Mr. Clean look the only option will be to beg borrow or steal enough money to get new gold hoop ear rings. One has to do things all the way. Actually now that I think of it Mr. Clean is completely clean shaven. I could come up with a new name for the goatee version of the creepy bald guy but that seems entirely too much like work.

In Summary: Baldness Happens. My chest hair does not connect with my back hair. I probably shoudln't admit to having back hair.

More Laters

3 Comments:

Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

shave and post pics

10:11 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

I'm with Rachelle-- Just go with it.
Do you really want to have to take a bic to your head all the time?
High Maintenance.
What if you find out you've got a lumpy head or something?
I think the haircut is good, and I think this was a good length too. Maybe somewhere between the two is just right (in my opinion, of course).

12:53 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with this length whenever I have my brother cut it. The problem with the bic to the head thing is that as we can see from the pictures already posted I usually let a few days go by without shaving. I'd be in a constant state of stuble.

I'll try to get a clean shaven pick up before I forget about it.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home