Thursday, February 03, 2005

The State of ...

My Reading

Yeah like I'd really be writing about the State of the Union or the Democratic Response. I stayed out of the room while the mother watched the president speak. I did walk in to answer a question or perform some chore or another and caught the bit where somehow the president transformed the idea of the government not interfering in our day o day lives into a need for an amendment to "protect marriage." This having me near screaming in futility at the man in the box I quickly made my escape.

I spent my evening reading The System of the World by Neal Stephenson. It is the third book in a series called The Baroque Cycle. Set in the age of Sir Isaac Newton (who is a character in the series) it's a fun informative read with plenty of adventure and plotting and a enough sex thrown in here and there to keep everyone happy. I'll be sad to finish the book as I've become very engaged with the characters over the last couple of books and will not hear any more about them.

Fear and loathing: on the campaign trail '72 showed up on my door step my part of our recent Amazon order and I'm looking forward to continuing my study of the under currents of literature. Some might draw parallels between the 72 election and the 2004 election. I'm not one of these people, basically because I know very little about the 72 election. It was 2 years before I was born and the man who one became an American figure we no longer spoke of by the time I was old enough to think learn and reason. If someone mentioned Nixon at all it was in the most negative way low on detail and high on emotion so that a young man growing up learned one thing: Nixon = Bad. I read Hunter S. Thompson because he is a great word smith. He sees the world for the way it is and writes about it. He tries to keep up this illusion of being this gonzo journalist who was always on some substance or another but I've come to understand that no one writes as well as he does under the influence or after prolonged drug use / abuse. I am certain that he used most everything at one time or another. His descriptions of the effects are spot on. I just don't think it was the every day thing that we were lead to believe.

As step 1 of my Master Plan (to take over the world) requires that I share the things I've seen and read with other people so that too will have experienced the same things as I have and thus thought some of the same thoughts I have, a gradual mind control bringing people to demand that I rule them as Benevolent Lord and Tyrant for Life, I urge everyone to pick up copies of these books and to peruse them at their leisure. It will vastly improve the state of your reading.

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home