Tuesday, February 01, 2005

On Coffee

I'm learning that I don't really like coffee and probably never did. What I used to drink could more accurately be called a highly caffeinated coffee flavored sugar and cream hot beverage. My habit was to let the coffee cook extra long so that it would evaporate some of the water or to make espresso and then fill the cup half way with milk or maybe a quarter of the way with half and half. If chocolate sauce was available it was liberally applied. What I drank wasn't coffee it was a coffee flavored drink. It was yummy.

So now doing the health thing I've made the switch from sugar to splenda. Splenda is nice because if you normally put two packets of sugar in your coffee then you would put two packets of splenda. Sweet and Low is like the atomic bomb sweetener. One packet is one too many. It makes things ultra sweet and it was a bit of a flavor I just don't like. Splenda sweetens things nicely. Its not the wonderful yumminess (technical term) of sugar but I can live with it.

I've cut out the chocolate sauce entirely. If I were the type of man who could be move to tears the loss of my beloved chocolate sauce would be high on my list of things to cry over (Way past Irish whiskey). There is still a bottle in the fridge that my brother and his wife use on occasion. Whenever I see it I think mean thoughts at them.

Carnation fat free creamer has a nice flavor. Its a little thick and as I haven't changed the way I make my coffee (extra strong) I use a little of the creamer and then top off the mug with skim milk.

Lets talk about skim milk. The doc had me switch to 1 % milkfat for a bit and now we have taken the next step to fat free milk. I drink it now and its all right. It just doesn't seem the same in cereal. Just looking at it I think, "slightly colored water." Fortunately my brother and his wife don't need 2% milk or I just might find myself sneaking it in the middle of the night.

So I drink my new coffee drink. Half a cup of strong coffee with 2 packets of splenda a dash of carnation and skim milk and I think maybe its time I switch to tea for my morning drink. I Like tea with just sweeter and when I was living in the shack on the tracks I learned to drink it straight because sugar costs more money than I was willing to take from my the money needed for smokes and beer. (Smokes were always first before food or booze. One must always have priorities).

More Laters

9 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I hear ya on the Splenda. It IS the best invention since sliced bread.

May I make a suggestion in the chocolate area? Of course I can, as it's my comment and I'll suggest if I want to...

Sugar free hot chocolate. I've been diabetic for years, and this has saved my life in terms of what my Dad deems my "kid coffee."

Try it...

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. Chocolate sauce. It teases you, since it's fat free, but sneeks in the calories.

Gotta try that Splenda stuff. Made the switch from sugar to the Pink stuff about 2 months ago, but not real crazy about the taste.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally made the switch to tea this year. It wasn't so hard. It generally tastes better and has some healthy effects (like green tea tanins prevent cancers). I just had 2 coffess today with a friend as a treat and it made me a jumpy wreck all day. BTW,did you ever try stevia? It's sold in powder form, but comes from a plant in Australia. Supposedly doesn't raise your blood sugar, but isn't overprocessed.
Kim
Relaxed Homeskool

9:37 PM  
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

i like the smell of coffee, more than i like the taste

hot coffee sometimes upsets my stomach, all acidy
but i love love LOVE iced coffee
never gives me upset stomach or a headache

i put in non fat milk and equal

1:12 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I'm a huge coffee junkie - nothing fancy for me - straight up, black, full strength, make it a double. All day long, I'm known for it. I leave coffee rings on most everything I touch at work, it seems. I'm trying to be better.

Anyway, I'm a huge sweet junkie too, and have lived with artificial sweeteners for all my life (that is memorable to me at least). Back when Tab was the only diet drink available, that's what I was given (I was a fat kid - I had to wear the "Pretty Plus" sizes). Anyway, today's sweeteners are much better - Nutrasweet was a huge improvement over Aspertame, and Splenda is even better (and doesn't break down chemically when heated like Nutrasweet does - so you can bake with it too).

9:26 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

It's odd how just talking about it we get passionate. quite a centerpiece in our lives

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to wonder how it is deduced that consuming sugar is unhealthy, and it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to consume a chemically man-engineered substitute that in 12 years or so, will more than likely be determined to cause cancer. Call me crazy...

Sincerely,
RDD

11:58 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Just living in chicago will cause cancer. Al natural doesnt always mean all good. Sugar has pretty much destroyed my teeth and its just calories I don't need. With splenda being made from sugar I'm less worried about any possible toxicity. (I'm pretty much a hypochondriac about everything else) People get prtty hung up on man made chemichals or medicines but I'm pretty much a fan of what the human race has accomplished.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Maybe its just the way the brother and I make coffee: Super Strong.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home