They Will Know What You Buy
My brother wants me to write a book by that name actually he wants something like this:
They Will Know What You Buy:
The Tale of an out of work, paranoid, dungeon master.
The out of work part is pretty self explanatory. I'm not working. I'm not actively looking for a job and haven't been fired from one so I'm not technically unemployed. Out of work doesn't really work in my opinion. Dilettante might be better. Maybe I could be called Man of Leisure.
Then we have the Paranoid bit. I refuse to get a preferred customer card at the local pharmacy or supermarket. In the past I've blamed this on not wanting the Income tax people to see me purchasing stuff with no source of income. This was total mendacity but my brother thought it showed my true paranoid streak. I've tried to explain that these cards are just part of the marketing scheme I refuse to buy into. The store tracks everything that is sold in that store so they don't need to be able to know what I bought to restock or serve me better. They need to know what I buy so they can figure out what they can do to make me buy other stuff. I refuse to feed my marketing demographic information into that. If the local pharmacy wanted to serve me better they could stock Lipton Iced Tea: Sweetened, No Lemon. The stuff with the lemon in it is way to acidic for my delicate constitution.
The Dungeon Master bit of course has to do with my massive library of science fiction and fantasy books as well as my ability to play marathon sessions of role playing video games and back in the day I may have been involved in a few pencil and paper games of Dungeons & Dragons (I was never the Dungeon Master. Way too much like work.) And I may have a few crates filled with RPG (Role Playing Game) books and paraphanalia (Dice, lead miniatures, cardboard fold outs.) And then there was all the old text based online RPGs also know as MUD's (Multi - User Dungeons) that I spent way to many hours in my early twenties. So while there is a certain geek flavor here I think the Dungeon Master appellation is a bit on the harsh side.
Once he mentioned the idea the sister -in - law and the mother jumped on the bandwagon. They too want to see the sordid adventures of an out of work, paranoid dungeon master. They feel the title almost writes the book by itself. A chapter title has already been suggested: They Will Know What You Read. Libraries. Amazon. Borders that sort of thing. The funny thing is people already know what I read. Right now it is Shroud for a Nightingale by P. D. James. The old man gave it to me. The entire set up of the class system in the hospital environment is worth reading.
In Summary: I'm a man of leisure who is righteously concerned about the state of marketing in this country and in his spare time has been known dabble in organized fantastic escapism.
Out of work, paranoid, Dungeon Master
They Will Know What You Buy:
The Tale of an out of work, paranoid, dungeon master.
The out of work part is pretty self explanatory. I'm not working. I'm not actively looking for a job and haven't been fired from one so I'm not technically unemployed. Out of work doesn't really work in my opinion. Dilettante might be better. Maybe I could be called Man of Leisure.
Then we have the Paranoid bit. I refuse to get a preferred customer card at the local pharmacy or supermarket. In the past I've blamed this on not wanting the Income tax people to see me purchasing stuff with no source of income. This was total mendacity but my brother thought it showed my true paranoid streak. I've tried to explain that these cards are just part of the marketing scheme I refuse to buy into. The store tracks everything that is sold in that store so they don't need to be able to know what I bought to restock or serve me better. They need to know what I buy so they can figure out what they can do to make me buy other stuff. I refuse to feed my marketing demographic information into that. If the local pharmacy wanted to serve me better they could stock Lipton Iced Tea: Sweetened, No Lemon. The stuff with the lemon in it is way to acidic for my delicate constitution.
The Dungeon Master bit of course has to do with my massive library of science fiction and fantasy books as well as my ability to play marathon sessions of role playing video games and back in the day I may have been involved in a few pencil and paper games of Dungeons & Dragons (I was never the Dungeon Master. Way too much like work.) And I may have a few crates filled with RPG (Role Playing Game) books and paraphanalia (Dice, lead miniatures, cardboard fold outs.) And then there was all the old text based online RPGs also know as MUD's (Multi - User Dungeons) that I spent way to many hours in my early twenties. So while there is a certain geek flavor here I think the Dungeon Master appellation is a bit on the harsh side.
Once he mentioned the idea the sister -in - law and the mother jumped on the bandwagon. They too want to see the sordid adventures of an out of work, paranoid dungeon master. They feel the title almost writes the book by itself. A chapter title has already been suggested: They Will Know What You Read. Libraries. Amazon. Borders that sort of thing. The funny thing is people already know what I read. Right now it is Shroud for a Nightingale by P. D. James. The old man gave it to me. The entire set up of the class system in the hospital environment is worth reading.
In Summary: I'm a man of leisure who is righteously concerned about the state of marketing in this country and in his spare time has been known dabble in organized fantastic escapism.
Out of work, paranoid, Dungeon Master















9 Comments:
lmao!
i've thought that way about the 'preferred customer' cards before. until recently, you could get past that by acting all shocked and saying 'o damn i forgot my card at home' when they ask, and they'd just scan the store card for you. they don't do that anymore (my card fell off the dang keychain).
don't you buy stuff from amazon though? i'm sure that's tracked even easier.
Ahh but I don't order for myself but rather using my mothers account, totally scewing the demographic making it look like a 55 year old woman is buying what this thirty year old male buys. I probably would use amazon except I have no money or credit cards. That makes it all a little difficult.
but i save a dollar when i go to Niemans. an entire dollar!
i always want to see work by the paranoid man in the black leather jacket.
btw, i'm at mom and dads, using google to look up rarrii to get here.
I have always wondered what sadistic fuck would drink the Lipton Ice Tea w/Lemon.
Nasty...
I also refuse to use any frequent buyer type cards. They will still scan the "store" one for you. Just go to the cashier that is male and open an extra button.
Works for me.
Now, I want to know how to become a woman of lesiure, as I work more then any person should legally be allowed to work. Teach me oh great one..
Whoopsie...I didn't mean to drop the "F" bomb on your blog. Bad habit of mine, but I try to behave myself when in other people's houses....Sorry 'bout that...
I've noted before that I have a mouth like a trucker. I just dont want to givev anyone the excuse to ignore me by using offensive laguage. They can ignore me because I'm an egotistical megolomaniac or because I'm a little more liberally minded, but they usually have to read first and thats a start. I wont start deleting comments unless someone starts getting abusive. curse all yas want there is a definate distinction between my words and the comments section. And the Shy can curse with the best of us.
sounds like a great f'n book to me.
Post a Comment
<< Home