Monday, December 13, 2004

Geek Thirty

So my birthday has come and gone and I celebrated the way any male geek would. I picked up a copy of World Of Warcraft and went about a marathon session of gaming. Yes geek fun at its finest making axe wielding green skinned orc destroy the pathetic humans. Called it global conquest training not necessarily a fixture in the Master Plan (to take over the world) but an approved elective course in the as listed in the yet to be created appendix.

So I looked in the mirror. No gray in my hair or beard. I'm balding but that's nothing new. My hair started thinning out years ago. I occasionally take a picture of the back of my head with the digital camera but the flash makes it look worse than it is. I have no obvious wrinkles. My skin may need a bunch of products as the forced air in this house dries me out head to toe, but I'm unwilling to learn about all those strange body products. I think I loose membership in the macho male fraternity. I'm already a borderline case as I don't follow sports, like tools or have any interest in motor vehicles. (I make up for these deficiencies with my overzealous love of electronics stores, Ability to talk computer system specs and grunt knowingly, and my willingness to scratch and adjust any time any place).

No one delivered on the hooker request for the birthday, but that was all well and good as I was reminded that I didn't specify female, high price disease free and might have ended up with a five dollar man in a dress with any number of social diseases. I must remember to be more specific in my requests in the future.

With my younger brothers birthday and mine being days apart we, of course, had cake 2 days running. He had some terrible fruit filled thing that I didn't want to even look at let alone try. My cake was all chocolate with chocolate butter cream frosting. Not the torte I requested but fine by any standards. (and only half gone!)

My brother and his wife went out and picked up four old navy t - shirts for me. As much as I appreciate their getting me a gift it irks me to no end as they know I would not myself buy clothing from old navy and would never buy t - shirts like the ones they bought me. My brother made the comment that these t - shirts are "what's in style now." I barley held back a, "I could give a flying (explicative deleted) what is in style now. You Pretentious (Explicative deleted) hole." The shirts are XXXL too so there is no way I can claim they are too small.

The world is no different than it was when I went to bed last night. As I've been going through a sort of mid - life crisis since I was a teenager and woke up one morning to realize that I too was mortal and would one day die, turning one year older is no great strain. We are all going to die! Waaaargh! Now to bury my fears in video crack.

More Laters

7 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

i've always prefered the saying "life sucks, get a helmet".

as for your brother giving you the trendy tshirts, ....umm..i have no suggestion? perhaps you could make him a gift with glitter and paper mache. include a hook in the back so he has to hang it.

11:27 PM  
Blogger . : A : . said...

Belated happy birthday!!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Rich! And thanks for the nod over on the "best of blogs" site. You're a good egg.

Mrs. M-mv
mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com

10:57 AM  
Blogger mk said...

Belated birthday wishes!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Rich!

The cake sounds delicious.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Thank you everyone. Now back to my regularly schedualed whining!

1:29 AM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Happy late birthday! Life begins at thirty, you know.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home