Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Must you Marinate?

Since my job requires that I am within about three feet of another person on three sides all day, I don’t understand why this is not common sense: body odor and heavy perfume are offensive.

I don’t think that it is necessary for someone 8 feet away from you to know you’re wearing perfume. Hell, people 3 feet away shouldn’t know. The only people who should know you are wearing perfume are those close enough to tell you a secret—those who are in your personal space. Perhaps the fact that the vanilla musk on the left of me combined with the god awful scent of old navy on the person to my right, and the body odor of the person two chairs down is just too much. Maybe alone, the smells (perfumes, not b.o.) wouldn’t be so bad. But the girl who wears the musk scent wears so much that it makes the back of my throat burn, the girl wearing the Old Navy makes my headache.

Anyone out there know why women do this?
(and yes, i am aware that men do this too. if you know why they do it, also post a response)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Ick. Yuck and Ack. When I was living in the shack on the tracks they would ocassionally whip out the incences. The semm from that stuff and from heavy perfumes or colognes go right up my nose to my brain and give me instant headache. I think for them they did it because everyone in the house smoked and smoking deadens your sense of smell a bit so they were prone to like and strong scent. God what nasty place that was to live. I miss it. heh

10:09 PM  
Blogger annette said...

Many work places are now requesting their employees not to wear any scents - sort of like smoking laws. HEH.

I knew this guy in HS where you could smell his cologne at the other end of the hall from where he was. Everyone talked about it, but I don't think anyone told him. I liked the smell - from a distance.

I don't know why people do this. Perhaps its like a cat, marking their territory.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I think that the perfumer/cologne oversprayers have three reasons.
They seriously fear the b/o.
They like the smell of their perfume.
They are so used to the scent that they must spray and overabundance to still smell themselves.
Just a theory.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Proving yet again that less is more...

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home