peanut brittle scam
I’ve seen this woman and her son each of the years I haven’t lived in the dorms. I’m guessing that it’s the same pair because the woman (I’ll assume she’s the mom, aunt or grandmother) sits in a dilapidated, white, sedan of sorts while her son comes to the door selling peanut brittle from an Aldis bag.
The boy talks so fast that I’ve never been able to catch the name of the church (intentional?) despite asking him to repeat it. The kid talks faster than a band camp girl with a caffeine high about what ever it was that happened this one time. But, it so happens that I like peanut brittle and from past experiences, this is some premo peanut brittle.
However, this time it was $5 for half a pound. I feel slightly robbed. If I ever see him again, I must tell him to talk slower. I’m sure a lot of people who are so-so peanut brittle likers turn him down because of his behavior. Shifty people selling unlabeled packages from Aldis bags aren’t the type people usually want to give money to.
Anyway, I’m starting to wonder if this women and boy are really selling peanut brittle for their church or if this is how mommy pays the bills. The boy (who is now around 11-13) isn’t wearing anything church affiliated, the brittle isn’t labeled, and it’s carried in a plastic grocery sack (always aldis). The new price is alarming. oh, and they don't accept checks.
The boy talks so fast that I’ve never been able to catch the name of the church (intentional?) despite asking him to repeat it. The kid talks faster than a band camp girl with a caffeine high about what ever it was that happened this one time. But, it so happens that I like peanut brittle and from past experiences, this is some premo peanut brittle.
However, this time it was $5 for half a pound. I feel slightly robbed. If I ever see him again, I must tell him to talk slower. I’m sure a lot of people who are so-so peanut brittle likers turn him down because of his behavior. Shifty people selling unlabeled packages from Aldis bags aren’t the type people usually want to give money to.
Anyway, I’m starting to wonder if this women and boy are really selling peanut brittle for their church or if this is how mommy pays the bills. The boy (who is now around 11-13) isn’t wearing anything church affiliated, the brittle isn’t labeled, and it’s carried in a plastic grocery sack (always aldis). The new price is alarming. oh, and they don't accept checks.















3 Comments:
Hmm buy it cause it might help the kid or refuse because mom is exploiting the kid. Maybe call social servicies.
Sounds like capitalism at its finest.
Shake the kid down for a piece of the action! Threaten to take steps if you dont get regular candy yumminess.
Post a Comment
<< Home