Yet Another Political Rant
I've said it before, but let me make it clear at the outset, I am a pretty liberal guy. I believe in things like a living wage and organized labor. I believe everyone should have the right to get married to anyone they want. If one were to give me some sort of where do you stand on the issues tests I would probably land far to the left on pretty much every social issue. Sure there are many things I really could care less about (pristine Alaskan wilderness, not exactly a PETA person I like my meat, never once complained if a vegetable I was eating was 100 % organic) but I can understand the idealized passion that creates that point of view.
So it may come as a surprise when I say I am not voting for the Democratic Candidate for governor (Rod Blagojevich) primarily because his latest round of attack advertisements against his Republican opponent Judy Baar Topinka. I am completely disgusted.
The tag line / zinger of these commercials since they first started airing after the primary elections is, "What's she thinking?" Until recently they had a voice actress who did a pretty good job of sounding sort of appalled by Topinka. (See a You Tube example here that tries to link peoples disapproval for the president with Topinka). These are annoying enough in that they have been playing almost nonstop this year.
The latest advertisement, which hasn't made its way to the internet yet, ends the commercial not with the elitist "what's she thinking" but rather has the now cliche mix of children of various sex and ethnicity saying the tag line. I think the only way that these attack advertisements can sink to a lower level is to try and find some member of Topinka's family to say the tag line, implying that even her own family question not just her ability to lead the state, but her sanity as well.
I understand the entire kiss the baby thing or bring the kids on the campaign trail (don't exactly approve of it but I understand) because it is a very physical way of showing that the governor is a family man and shares peoples values. He is married and has procreated and that sells well in Peoria (to steal an old advertising question).
Using children to attack ones opponent crosses an unwritten boundary of innocence. Sure these kids probably don't even know why they were saying what they were saying, just that they were going to be on television and that is exciting. There parents knew. I don't have the words to say how incredibly outraged I am.
It doesn't stop there. Searching the internet for this terrible commercial I found Topinka Watch.com. Apparently it doesn't do to host the negative attack ads on the same site as the Rod Blagojevich's reelection site. Sure the money may be coming from the same place to host these sites but one must keep the outward appearance, the facade, of a separate Smiling Rod very distinctly not the same person responsible for the negative advertisements.
Heck there is even a Judy Baar Topinka Watch Blog. Read all the near slander, hyperbole and elitist condescension one can stand to stomach, well at least three months worth.
I'm not voting for Blagojevich. I ask other people to join me in saying that he has behaved in a way that is unacceptable of a public official. I'm not saying we should all loose our minds and vote for Judy Baar Topinka (she did after all head up the presidents reelection campaign here in Illinois), but I think we an find someone better suited the job and write them in. Feel free to ad possible write in candidates in the comments below.
More Laters,
So it may come as a surprise when I say I am not voting for the Democratic Candidate for governor (Rod Blagojevich) primarily because his latest round of attack advertisements against his Republican opponent Judy Baar Topinka. I am completely disgusted.
The tag line / zinger of these commercials since they first started airing after the primary elections is, "What's she thinking?" Until recently they had a voice actress who did a pretty good job of sounding sort of appalled by Topinka. (See a You Tube example here that tries to link peoples disapproval for the president with Topinka). These are annoying enough in that they have been playing almost nonstop this year.
The latest advertisement, which hasn't made its way to the internet yet, ends the commercial not with the elitist "what's she thinking" but rather has the now cliche mix of children of various sex and ethnicity saying the tag line. I think the only way that these attack advertisements can sink to a lower level is to try and find some member of Topinka's family to say the tag line, implying that even her own family question not just her ability to lead the state, but her sanity as well.
I understand the entire kiss the baby thing or bring the kids on the campaign trail (don't exactly approve of it but I understand) because it is a very physical way of showing that the governor is a family man and shares peoples values. He is married and has procreated and that sells well in Peoria (to steal an old advertising question).
Using children to attack ones opponent crosses an unwritten boundary of innocence. Sure these kids probably don't even know why they were saying what they were saying, just that they were going to be on television and that is exciting. There parents knew. I don't have the words to say how incredibly outraged I am.
It doesn't stop there. Searching the internet for this terrible commercial I found Topinka Watch.com. Apparently it doesn't do to host the negative attack ads on the same site as the Rod Blagojevich's reelection site. Sure the money may be coming from the same place to host these sites but one must keep the outward appearance, the facade, of a separate Smiling Rod very distinctly not the same person responsible for the negative advertisements.
Heck there is even a Judy Baar Topinka Watch Blog. Read all the near slander, hyperbole and elitist condescension one can stand to stomach, well at least three months worth.
I'm not voting for Blagojevich. I ask other people to join me in saying that he has behaved in a way that is unacceptable of a public official. I'm not saying we should all loose our minds and vote for Judy Baar Topinka (she did after all head up the presidents reelection campaign here in Illinois), but I think we an find someone better suited the job and write them in. Feel free to ad possible write in candidates in the comments below.
More Laters,















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home