My Face is Red
Ok so I was reading Mental Multivitamin the other day and the author put up a request for her readers to mail her about the books they were reading. Anyone who has been reading this site for any length of time can see that I usually insert what I am reading into my rants in a futile attempt to get people to buy books that I read as part of my master plan to take over the world. Also to get gift certificates from Amazon. (Summary to date: Clicks 41, Unique Visitors 30, Ordered Items 0. Oh Yeah I can sell the books).
So I write the author with about a book that I came across in my stacks that I had no intention of rereading or blogging about but thought she and her readers might enjoy.
Then M-MV came to Shockingly Provincial and did a search for references to her site and came up with this.
Imagine my embarrassment when I realized that the one and only time I mentioned pornography was in the same post I talked about M-MV. I had even considered cutting that link and reference out and had discussed it with my older brother for a bit. We both felt that I should step away from the smut talk in that it detracted from the site. He felt I should delete the reference and I wasn't quite ready to do that. I figured I could always delete it later if I got a nasty letter from the blogger people.
Now I've been reading a bit about "blogging" and everyone says two things. Keep it short and don't edit. Well I feel that about a page of text (the average length of both Shy and My posts) is very short but I know it is a lot longer than the average bloggers post. I rail against this convention of blogging for down this path lies laziness of mind and the ruin of mankind. I make no plans to change in that area.
The second convention, that of editing, is also bunk. Writing is meant to be improved upon. I'm not very good at spotting the errors in my writing. Sometimes in skip the middle of a thought in a sentence and then when I read it in the preview my mind inserts the words or ideas I left out. I think this site could be improved a great deal with the inclusion of a person to act as editor.
Both Shy and I produce a great deal of raw material. Of late myself more than Shy, but this is only because she is very busy with her schooling at this time and needs to focus her energies and attention. The Shy will be entertaining us all again before to long. Joe Cool never committed to writing steadily and has no plans to, but he is a good friend to the Shy and myself and we value anything he writes and find it rather amusing when we wake up on a morning to find that Joe Cool had read and remarked upon a couple weeks worth of blogging in a evening. "Have I been spammed? No Joe Cool was just reading teh blog again."
I think the offer to any prospective editor would be that he or she could have any profits from the google adsense if we decide to use it in the side bar. Though the Shy should probably get that as I have my name sewn up in the Amazon thing.
In Summary: My brother was right, I should have deleted the smut reference. I finally know what an autodidact is. Shy is working hard on her school stuff.
More Laters
So I write the author with about a book that I came across in my stacks that I had no intention of rereading or blogging about but thought she and her readers might enjoy.
Then M-MV came to Shockingly Provincial and did a search for references to her site and came up with this.
Imagine my embarrassment when I realized that the one and only time I mentioned pornography was in the same post I talked about M-MV. I had even considered cutting that link and reference out and had discussed it with my older brother for a bit. We both felt that I should step away from the smut talk in that it detracted from the site. He felt I should delete the reference and I wasn't quite ready to do that. I figured I could always delete it later if I got a nasty letter from the blogger people.
Now I've been reading a bit about "blogging" and everyone says two things. Keep it short and don't edit. Well I feel that about a page of text (the average length of both Shy and My posts) is very short but I know it is a lot longer than the average bloggers post. I rail against this convention of blogging for down this path lies laziness of mind and the ruin of mankind. I make no plans to change in that area.
The second convention, that of editing, is also bunk. Writing is meant to be improved upon. I'm not very good at spotting the errors in my writing. Sometimes in skip the middle of a thought in a sentence and then when I read it in the preview my mind inserts the words or ideas I left out. I think this site could be improved a great deal with the inclusion of a person to act as editor.
Both Shy and I produce a great deal of raw material. Of late myself more than Shy, but this is only because she is very busy with her schooling at this time and needs to focus her energies and attention. The Shy will be entertaining us all again before to long. Joe Cool never committed to writing steadily and has no plans to, but he is a good friend to the Shy and myself and we value anything he writes and find it rather amusing when we wake up on a morning to find that Joe Cool had read and remarked upon a couple weeks worth of blogging in a evening. "Have I been spammed? No Joe Cool was just reading teh blog again."
I think the offer to any prospective editor would be that he or she could have any profits from the google adsense if we decide to use it in the side bar. Though the Shy should probably get that as I have my name sewn up in the Amazon thing.
In Summary: My brother was right, I should have deleted the smut reference. I finally know what an autodidact is. Shy is working hard on her school stuff.
More Laters















3 Comments:
school stuff sucks. i feel so jellowy in the brain right now that i'm not capable of a worthy blog.
'
i hate convention. write as much or as little as you please. let your thoughts flow like urine after a 6pack of beer....or like water in a shimmering stream, which ever you may choose. i don't give a damn which, so long as the thoughts are flowing. that's all that matters.
I can’t spell worth a damn. I need to use spell check. A lot of people out there spell (or maybe they just can't type) worse than I do and don’t use spell check. It irritates me to no end to see misspelled words in every sentence. Proof-reading does not invalidate your ideas.
as for the google thing, keep it. this is your blog, i am merely honored to be allowed to drop my prattle in amongst your writings, and to be visited by Joe Cool and everyone else who reads here.
I just dont see the google ads making money so I think I'll leave of ading em for the time being.
I immediately close any blog I find whree it is some kid who is using alternate caps and lwoer case and abreviating every word. WHat crap. And all blogs done up in all pink with music by some teen star.
Check out Diva Drips site! She has a side bar now with us listed! I must thank her.
I'm the same way Rich, I compose my stuff offline and then post it but I still often see typos and other mistakes after posting. I usually do go back and fix them when they jump out at me after the fact.
And no thanks are necessary, sorry it took me so long to add those links to my sidebar.
Post a Comment
<< Home