A Consumers Rant
The feeling of relief is almost palpable. Is it that the Democrats took over congress? No! It is the temporary respite from political attack advertisements. The motto this year was not : What will I do to better serve you, the voter. Rather the Motto was : My opponent is an evil spawn of the netherworld, who is against everything you believe in, wants to eat your babies and has failed at every opportunity to do one positive thing for the people he or she hopes to serve.
Ok maybe I have the words wrong, but I definitely nailed the heart of the sentiment.
I ought to be happy, some may say. Then there would be a rant / lecture about how the people of America stood up to religious ultra conservatism. Those negative advertisements were instrumental in attaining this victory.
I am not happy. An obnoxious amount of money was spent in vicious and petty ways. The voters are no better informed and I'm not particularly sure they are better served. I'm sure the campaign contribution lists for both political parties would have many of the same mega corporations named. Will the Senator from Dow Chemicals please take the podium (see The Space Merchants).
It makes me wonder if there had not been an election this November, would the Christmas advertisements have started even earlier. Almost all commercial advertisement drops off during the last phase of the campaign season. No one wants their carbonated beverage to be even loosely associated in the mind with "wrong on security, wrong for your state." The idea of Santa clause being tied to the sort of negative reinforcement is enough to give even the most care free marketeer a massive panic attack. "Sales will plummet. My bonus is doomed! Noooooooooo!"
The sick thing is, by the time February rolls around with its election I will almost welcome the political commercials again. From now until December 25th we will see how the only way to say I love you this holiday season is to spend, spend spend. Best Buy goes that extra step already. They imply their gifts will lead to instant sex right on the table. After Christmas will be the post holiday sales. Didn't' get what you wanted this holiday season? Come in now and make everything right.
I wonder what a 20 dollar best Buy gift certificate gets? Is that bottom end peck on the cheek? At what point to we hit lap dance?
More Laters
Ok maybe I have the words wrong, but I definitely nailed the heart of the sentiment.
I ought to be happy, some may say. Then there would be a rant / lecture about how the people of America stood up to religious ultra conservatism. Those negative advertisements were instrumental in attaining this victory.
I am not happy. An obnoxious amount of money was spent in vicious and petty ways. The voters are no better informed and I'm not particularly sure they are better served. I'm sure the campaign contribution lists for both political parties would have many of the same mega corporations named. Will the Senator from Dow Chemicals please take the podium (see The Space Merchants).
It makes me wonder if there had not been an election this November, would the Christmas advertisements have started even earlier. Almost all commercial advertisement drops off during the last phase of the campaign season. No one wants their carbonated beverage to be even loosely associated in the mind with "wrong on security, wrong for your state." The idea of Santa clause being tied to the sort of negative reinforcement is enough to give even the most care free marketeer a massive panic attack. "Sales will plummet. My bonus is doomed! Noooooooooo!"
The sick thing is, by the time February rolls around with its election I will almost welcome the political commercials again. From now until December 25th we will see how the only way to say I love you this holiday season is to spend, spend spend. Best Buy goes that extra step already. They imply their gifts will lead to instant sex right on the table. After Christmas will be the post holiday sales. Didn't' get what you wanted this holiday season? Come in now and make everything right.
I wonder what a 20 dollar best Buy gift certificate gets? Is that bottom end peck on the cheek? At what point to we hit lap dance?
More Laters















1 Comments:
This year it is worse for me than I ever remember before. I'm already sick of the holidays and it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
Bah Humbug.
Post a Comment
<< Home